I felt like sometimes my lack of desire to "design" my classroom is inhibited. There are some annoying limitations lovely district fire code policies to keep us safer that state:
- Nothing can hang from classroom ceilings
- Absolutely nothing can be on the classroom door except for emergency exit map
- All items on classroom walls must lay flat (i.e. only 2D, 3D is NOT allowed such as crinkling paper up to represent tree branches)
- Classroom walls cannot be covered in more than 50% of fire consumable items (i.e. butcher paper, fabric, etc.)
- Items put on classroom walls cannot come within one foot of the ceiling
Due to my non-crafty or non-interior design side, I've NEVER had a "theme" for my classroom. It was too much work and let's just put it, I don't have the natural eye for design and complementary items. (When my husband does a better job shopping for clothes for me than I could ever do by myself, it's obvious I have a fashion problem). A month ago Pinterest showed me a wonderfully, inspiring classroom and I've realized it would be perfect. Our school's colors are red, black, and white.
The way this teacher has set up the teams with their OWN bookshelf to store in-class materials is perfect. The downsides to this: a) This classroom is set up for about 20 students, my classroom will need to be set up for 35-40 students per period, b) my students will have the "big" kid desks instead of these small desks, and c) those bookshelves could get costly trying to buy them. Oh, I almost forgot, how would I be able to fit these "team" shelves in when I'm barely going to have enough classroom space for the students' desks? Oh well, it's a dream and a wish I could have.
I got 4 pails so I could also use another one for chart paper markers and possibly use the fourth one to hold the overhead projector remote.
Since I'm teaching only math this year, I was going to do this project with "math" but Walmart didn't have all the letters. Due to a reasonable price and good size letters, I'll be creating this for "Mrs. D."
This is actually just a tool box organizer from Lowes/Home Depot to organize nails, screws, etc. With some spray paint, scrapbook paper, tape, and labels, I intend on creating this for my class.
I'm beginning to get the craft bug.
photos courtesy of http://dandelionsdragonflies.blogspot.com/2011/08/finally-my-classroom-reveal.html
Some other pictures from this teacher's amazing classroom that are inspiring for my design:
I love this idea because I want my markers and eraser up high so I don't have students "stealing" them. Last night, I went to Walmart and found the perfect tins (sorry no picture of them before). They were in the kids birthday section and was a light green and pink with white swirlies. To go with my classroom decor, I used color spray paint and here's what I've got after one layer of spray paint. I intended to do just plain red on the pails but I actually like the white swirlies showing through on this one layer of spray paint. What do you think? Should I spray for a plain red or keep the swirlies?
Something I learned: Take the sticker off the pail BEFORE you spray paints. Oops, I guess I'll be doing that tomorrow and spray painting that area.
Something I learned: Take the sticker off the pail BEFORE you spray paints. Oops, I guess I'll be doing that tomorrow and spray painting that area.
I got 4 pails so I could also use another one for chart paper markers and possibly use the fourth one to hold the overhead projector remote.
My next projects are going to be:
This is actually just a tool box organizer from Lowes/Home Depot to organize nails, screws, etc. With some spray paint, scrapbook paper, tape, and labels, I intend on creating this for my class.
I LOVE these as they are perfect for space savers and seats. These would work great at my intervention table.

No comments:
Post a Comment