Going back in time to February of 2015. I called my mom to tell her Dereck and I signed our contract to work in Cairo (having previously discussed the possibility of this with her). Two days later, Mom calls to tell me she's booked a flight to come visit us during our Winter Break. I think my mom was more excited than us about going to work in Cairo.
Fast Forward to December 2015, I hired a driver to pick me up, take me to the airport, wait until Mom comes through Customs, and then drive us back to our house. The cost of hiring a driver for this was all under $20 for approximately 3 hours. Compared to US standards, this is cheap.
 |
| Had to send a picture to my siblings verifying Mom's arrival to my place safely |
Knowing that Mom was coming to town, she graciously allowed Dereck and I to purchase things through Amazon, ship it to her so she could bring it to Cairo in a suitcase of much needed American products that can't be found here in Egypt. Plus, shipping is not a good option here in Cairo as most shipments won't make to you. After all, there aren't even mail boxes for your house. We don't get any mail at our apartment. Definitely different than the States or much of Europe.
 |
| Much needed Multi-Vitamins, Fiber, Hydrocortizone creams, chapstick, Neosporan, Tampons (which are rare in Egypt due to the culture stigma about Tampons and when you do find them they're usually uncomfortable because of their differences) |
I felt like it was Christmas morning when Mom arrived because we had run out of some American items we didn't realize we would treasure so much!
No comments:
Post a Comment